Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Catching Chickens and Mice

Let me just say as soon as my mom reads this she is going to kill me. She warned me not to do a post of this. At least I didn't post pictures with it! ha ha
so..... my dad was moving the chicken coop to the other end of the coral. In the process of moving it the chickens were out running into the tamaracks ( tamaracks are those annoying trees and bushes that grow like crazy out here by the river! ) There was nothing we could do until we moved there coop and put it back together. My dad started moving the coop and mice started running out from under it when they moved it! Cameron and my dad got shovels and were hitting the mice and killing them. They were everywhere! It was so disgusting! once the chicken coop was moved there was a big pile of nasty, poopy, dirt. My dad started digging up and messing around with the dirt because mice were hiding in the nasty poopy dirt! They had built tunnels through this stuff and living in there. Cameron and my dad were digging up the dirt and the mice were running in all different directions out from under it all. After they had moved all the dirt and there was no more mice running or hiding, the grand total of mice killed was 45!! Let me remind you that this is way out back by the horses and I have never seen a mouse in my parents house. ( feel better now mom? ) The kids are loving every minute of this excitement. Corben was even picking the dead ones up by there tails and putting them in a pile! ha ha the kid has issues! OK now that the mice are all killed and the coop is in its new spot we have to go catch the chickens. They were in places we couldn't get to because of how thick the brush was so we sent the kids in it to scare them out. Now imagine 3 kids that are 2 and 3 yrs old on there bellies in this stuff, army crawling to get to the chickens. These kids were amazing! long story short we caught all the chickens it just took us an hour! All in all it was disgusting and actually fun ha ha!! ONLY BECAUSE the kids faces and the fun that they had was priceless! Now if you are not disgusted by this post YOU have issues :)

6 comments:

Heather Stott said...

nice post, sorry we didn't get any pictures of that! I am feeling slightly bummed out that I didn't get to participate in the excitment! HAHA.. all the kids are just like their parents, you cant really blame any of them!

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS!!

Kathryn said...

EEEWWWWW!!!

I can't stand mice & their little mice feet & their nasty mice teeth. Ick. Ick. Ick.

I'm SUCH a city girl.

Jill Duncan said...

GROSS!!!! I can't believe you guys sent the kids in to scare the chickens out- that is hilarious!

Good job to Brydee for giving her first talk- how exciting!!! Wish we could be there for her Primary Program, I know she will look so cute up there, and do great!

Kevin and Hayres said...

Oh gross! Although I can definitely say I've seen worse, haha. The kids are such troopers! Sounds like it would've been some good Kodak moments.

Cindy said...

Im disgusted!!!! You had some good visuals going for me out there in your back yard!!! Great memories to be sure!!